To create an impressive resume, you need to pay attention to content, format and writing style. Remember, this document is often the first glimpse we get of you. What do you want us to know? What can you offer that makes you unique and perfect for the job? The following tips will get you started:
- Keep the words 'current' and 'relevant' in mind when you compose your resume. We're looking for up-to-date resumes that clearly describe why you are right for the job in question. Keep your writing crisp, using bullet points wherever possible.
- Format your resume such that it is easy to read and scan. If you are submitting your resume online, we recommend plain text.
- Start talking about your major achievements early on. Be detailed, specific and quantify your work where you can e.g. managed a team of 10 programmers. This will allow you to stand out from the crowd and help us understand your level of expertise.
- List a few of your interests outside of work. We appreciate well-balanced people who can add spice to our work environment.
- Be honest. If inaccurate information comes to light later on in the recruitment process, you could lose your chance to join us.
- Write simply and clearly. Jargon may confuse and bad grammar or spelling will only create a bad impression.
- Be sure your contact information is accurate, so that we can reach you if you have been shortlisted.
- Provide two references - tell us how (and how long) you've known them. Ideally, you would list your most recent managers so that we can understand the current, rather than historical, you.