Eclipse IDE, developed by an open source community focused on developing a universal platform of frameworks and powerful tools that make it easy and cost-effective to build and deploy software. The Eclipse Platform is a multi-dimensional tool that different types of developers use in different ways. Eclipse provides a platform to quickly prototype, collaborate, and share ideas built on a common architecture. This powerful and extensible platform also makes it easy to develop large-scale applications developed by far-flung teams.
For Java™ developers, Eclipse is:
- Intuitive and easy-to-use
- Flexible, supporting hundreds of available plug-ins that can enhance your experience
- Optimised for Java™ development
- Consistent, providing a common look and feel in tools from the many vendors who use Eclipse
Eclipse along with WTP plug-in can be used for J2EE Web Development also
IBM WebSphere® Application Server Community Edition is a free lightweight Java™ 2 Platform, Enterprise Edition (J2EE) application server built on Apache Geronimo, the open source application server project of the Apache Software Foundation. It harnesses the latest innovations from the open-source community and provides a readily accessible and flexible foundation for building Java applications. WebSphere Application Server Community Edition helps you accelerate your development and deployment efforts by offering technology that is quick to download and easy to use. Community Edition includes Apache Tomcat and IBM Cloudscape, and now offers an enhanced Eclipse plugin
Back to top
DB2 Express-C, a version of DB2 Universal Database Express Edition (DB2 Express) for the community, is a no-charge data server for use in development and deployment. Providing the same core data server features, development interfaces as well as system limits as DB2 Express in a smaller package, DB2 Express-C offers a solid base to build and deploy all applications. DB2 Express-C is available for Linux and Windows running on 32 or 64 bit hardware.
Service-Oriented Architecture (SOA) is an IT architectural style that supports the transformation of your business into a set of linked services, or repeatable business tasks that can be accessed when needed over a network. This may be a local network, it may be the Internet, or it may be geographically and technologically diverse, combining services in New York, London, and Hong Kong as though they were all installed on your local desktop. These services can coalesce to accomplish a specific business task, enabling your business to quickly adapt to changing conditions and requirements.
Back to top
AJAX, Mashups, WiKi, blogs, RSS - sounds familiar?
Web 2.0 is a term often applied to a perceived ongoing transition of the World Wide Web from a collection of websites to a full-fledged computing platform serving web applications to end users. Ultimately Web 2.0 services are expected to replace desktop computing applications for many purposes.
Java technology is both a high-level, object-oriented programming language and a platform. Java technology is based on the concept of a single Java virtual machine (JVM) -- a translator between the language and the underlying software and hardware. All implementations of the programming language must emulate the JVM, enabling Java programs to run on any system that has a version of the JVM.
Preferred Platform: Linux
Other Technology Resources:
Back to top
- Free eBooks on IBM Technologies for download
alphaWorks is IBM's "emerging technology portal". It is a web community for early adopters to preview and collaborate on prototype technology from IBM Research labs
- Information leveraging solutions that are built on a portfolio of Data Management DB2 tools: There are more than 60 million DB2 users from 425,000 companies worldwide relying on IBM DB2 Information Management Solutions. IBM is the only data management software vendor to provide customers with integrated solutions for database management, tools, content management, enterprise information integration and business intelligence
- For more information on Information Management:
- www.ibm.com/software/data (US)
- www.ibm.com/developerworks/db2/newto (US)
- DB2 Universal Database - Viper
Viper is the code name for the upcoming release of DB2. DB2 Viper is a leading edge hybrid data server capable of supporting both relational and pure XML storage and provides all the necessary services to support both data structures. It also has tons of new features that increase performance and scalability for both XML and relational data.
- DB2 Everyplace (US)
DB2 Everyplace features a small footprint relational database and high performance data synchronisation solution that enables enterprise applications and data to be securely extended to mobile devices such as personal digital assistants (PDAs), smart phones and other embedded mobile devices.
- Cloudscape – A complete RDBMS written in Java (US)
IBM Cloudscape™ provides a full-featured, robust, small-footprint database server that is simple to deploy and reduces the cost of embedded and Web-based applications.
- Lotus product line to help organisations leverage collective know-how
Lotus Software from IBM sets the standard for truly innovative software and services that reflect the brand’s unique representation of the new ways individuals and businesses work together to achieve success.
For more information on Lotus:
- www.ibm.com/software/lotus (US)
- Workplace Forms (US)
IBM Workplace Forms helps significantly reduce time, costs, and problems inherent to paper-based forms processes. The IBM Workplace Forms product family consists of a server, designer and client viewer that together enables the creation, deployment and streamnsists of a server, designer and client viewer that together enables the creation, deployment and streamlining of XML forms-based processes.
- Rational range of Application Development Tools to help software development houses develop applications in a structured and systematic way: Rational software from IBM helps organisations become more responsive, resilienong Rational software from IBM helps organisations become more responsive, resilient, and focused by improving their software developong Rational software from IBM helps organisations become more responsive, resilient, and focused by improving their software development capability. Rational tools and best practices power the IBM Software Development Platform, the premier platform for teams who build, exte Rational software from IBM helps organisations become more responsive, resilient, and focused by improving their software development capability. Rational tools and best practices power the IBM Software Development Platform, the premier platform for teams who build, extend, modernise, integrate, and deploy software in business applications, embedded systems, and software products.
- For more information on Rational:
- www.ibm.com/software/rational (US)
- Rational Application Developer for WebSphere Software (US)
IBM Rational Application Developer for WebSphere® Software helps developers to quickly design, develop, analyse, test, profile and deploy high-quality Web, Service-oriented Architecture (SOA), Java, J2EE and portal applications.
- Rational Rose (US)
IBM Rational Rose family is our classic UML modeling and model-driven development solution. The most popular UML tool on the market
- Rational Method Composer (US) (The next generation of Rational Unified Process)
IBM Rational Method Composer is a flexible process platform containing processes and tools for use in multiple business and IT dimensions, and also throughout IT Lifecycle Management (ITLM).
- Tivoli range of products to enable organisations to manage complex technology infrastructure: IBM Tivoli software enables an IT organisation to reduce the total cost of ownership and improve service levels of the IT infrastructure.
For more information on Tivoli:
- www.ibm.com/software/tivoli (US)
- Continuous Data Protection for Files (US)
Continuously back up crucial corporate data on file servers and transiently connected machines
- Tivoli Storage Manager (US)
IBM Tivoli Storage Manager enables you to protect your organisation’s data from failures and other errors by storing backup, archive, space management and bare-metal restore data, as well as compliance and disaster-recovery data in a hierarchy of offline storage.
- Transformation and integration solutions that are built on the IBM WebSphere middleware platform: IBM WebSphere is the market-leading Internet infrastructure software, or middleware, for building, running and integrating business applications across a variety of computing platforms. Built according to clients’ desire for innovative, standards-based, highly reliable and scalable software, WebSphere software is used by tens of thousands of companies and other organisations.
- For more information on WebSphere:
- www.ibm.com/software/websphere (US)
- WebSphere Application Server (US)
As the foundation of the IBM® WebSphere® software platform, WebSphere Application Server V6.1 delivers the secure, scalable, resilient application infrastructure you need for a Service Oriented Architecture (SOA). Leverage the industry's premier Java™ 2 Enterprise Edition (J2EE™) 1.4 and Web services application platform to help build, run, integrate and manage dynamic, On Demand business applications.
- WebSphere Portlet Factory (US) ( previously known as Bowstreet Portlet Factory)
IBM WebSphere Portlet Factory speeds IBM WebSphere Portal deployments by automating portlet development for faster time-to-value. Allows developers of any skill level to construct, change, deploy, and maintain custom portlets. Provides an service oriented architecture (SOA) entry point for companies by delivering SOA-based portal applications.
- Pervasive (US) (Mobile & Speech Middleware)
Under WebSphere brand there are lot of products that helps you build a pervasive solution, for more information on those products, visit:
- WebSphere Studio Device Developer (US)
Provides an integrated development environment (IDE) for building, testing, and deploying Java™ 2 Micro Edition (J2ME™) applications that run on wireless devices such as cellular telephones, personal digital assistants (PDA), and handheld computers.
Back to top